Marketing & Mobilization (M&M) is a dynamic team tasked with building the International Rescue Committee’s (IRC) global profile and brand, engaging our global workforce, increasing private revenue from deeper donor engagement and partnerships, and influencing our target audiences.
Global Internal Communications, as part of the M&M team, helps the IRC achieve its strategy and goals by informing, inspiring and involving over 15,000 employees in 40 countries in multiple languages. We do this by crafting compelling content aligned to our strategy and priorities, listening to and raising employee voices, continually striving to create a more engaged and inclusive work environment.
The Director of Internal Communications owns the development and delivery of a strategy that connects, informs and inspires our employees around the world.
With the mentorship of the Chief Marketing & Mobilization Officer and Chief HR Officer, you will closely work with departments including the Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (GEDI) unit, HR, IT, the President's Office and other teams. Your team will support internal communication strategies and plans that build shared understanding of organizational goals and priorities, foster engagement among employees, and amplify employee voices across the organization. You’ll lead a team of three - senior officer, Diversity, Equality & Inclusion communications manager and multimedia content manager.
- Create and deploy a global internal communication strategy that supports the organization’s global strategic priorities, including GEDI, Strategy 100, and our colleagues, clients and programs
- Lead the creation of compelling content across our internal channels such as our intranet, RescueNet, email, e-newsletters and announcements, virtual town halls (“Huddles”), and videos.
- Co-lead the continued maintenance and improvement of RescueNet, with the IT team, growing overall use and relevance of the tool.
- Collaborate with M&M colleagues to ensure internal engagement during major communications moments (e.g., World Refugee Day, etc.).
- Provide executive communications counsel the Leadership Board and Senior Leaders Group, to help leaders keep staff engaged and informed.
- Serve as a go-to communications specialist for colleagues who need assistance developing internal communications plans and tactics.
- Lead in-depth analysis of metrics across internal channels, using data to evaluate current systems and propose and test new solutions.
- Seek information on emerging trends and techniques in internal communication, researching and applying innovative solutions for large global organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing or related field work experience.
- 10-15 years’ experience as a member and key contributor to a global communications team in a large, diverse, multi-lingual organization.
- Exceptional business-writing skills, creativity and flexibility.
- Highly sophisticated in delivering sensitive messages in a culturally appropriate manner to help build understanding and empathy in the organization.
- Experience in the diversity/cultural competency field and lived multicultural experience preferred.
- Experience providing communications counsel to senior executives.
- Outstanding judgement and discretion.
- French or Arabic highly desirable but not required.
The Director of Internal Communications will participate in a remote work and desk sharing schedule, in partnership with other colleagues.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, Egalite, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
Interested candidates should contact: Amy Segelin (email@example.com) at Chaloner Associates.