High Value Products Specialist
International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) (view profile)
|Location||Khumaltar/Lalitpur, Kathmandu, Nepal|
|Date Posted||June 7, 2012|
|Job Type||Full Time|
|Duration||Three years, starting as soon as possible, of which the first three months are probation; extension may be possible subject to ICIMOD’s future funding.|
|Closing date for applications||Apply before 8 July 2012|
Sustainable Livelihoods and Poverty Reduction (SLPR) is one of ICIMOD’s three thematic programmes. It aims to promote diversified and sustainable livelihood options in the HKH region with a clear focus on livelihood development and policy issues in relation with poverty and vulnerability in mountain areas. Hence, to support the SLPR Programme, ICIMOD currently seeks to recruit a
High Value Products Specialist
Summary of Responsibilities:
The High Value Products Specialist is responsible for developing and strengthening ICIMOD’s work on high-value products (HVPs) and mountain-specific value chain development. S/he will perform the following main tasks:
• Contribute substantially to developing a strategy for the prioritization, conservation, management, and development of HVPs in the HKH region
• Undertake quantitative and qualitative research on national and regional assessments of the productivity, markets and trade of prioritized HVPs, value chain governance, and relevant national, regional, and international policies
• Prepare research papers and policy-relevant reports and case studies on environmental, economic, social, and demographic factors influencing HVP productivity, management, and trade, and on mechanisms for adaptation to climate-related factors;
• Contribute to action research projects on horizontal and vertical coordination systems for sustainable production and management of HVPs that will support mountain producers in accessing higher return market channels while ensuring sustainability and equity in value chains.
• Provide intellectual leadership and managerial support on HVP development
• Organize, conduct, and contribute to internal and external training, workshops, and seminars to disseminate the knowledge developed.
Minimum Requirements and Skills
• Post-graduate academic degree, preferably Ph.D., in relevant discipline (e.g., horticulture, agricultural economics, environmental studies, agribusiness)
• Five years of relevant work experience in areas directly related to HVPs, value chains, and adaptation to change in the context of livelihoods in a research and development context
• Experience working on HVPs and livelihoods in the HKH region
• A proven track record of publications and action research with stakeholders
• Excellent and demonstrated analytical and research skills
• Excellent spoken communication and networking skills as well as English writing skills
• Ability to work with multidisciplinary and multi-cultural teams
• Knowledge of statistical packages and analysis
Remuneration: Salaries and benefits at ICIMOD are competitive compared to other regional organizations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women.
For more information on ICIMOD and about the position, please visit to our website www.icimod.org. Applicants are requested to apply before 8 July 2012 through ICIMOD’s Online Application System at www.icimod.org/vacancies. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
← Go back
- WUSC Country Director, Ghana posted 10 days ago.
- Health Program Coordinator posted 11 days ago.
- Resource Development Officer posted 18 days ago.
- Clinician with Hospital Development Expertise posted 24 days ago.
- Coordinator of Emergency Response to the Coffee Rust Crisis posted 2 days ago.