Head of Communication
|Date Posted||May 7, 2012|
|Job Type||Full Time|
|Closing date for applications||27th May 2012|
The African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET), is a pan African women’s rights network based in Nairobi-Kenya.
Established in 1988, FEMNET has been at the forefront of championing gender equality, equity and women’s rights through the delivery of critical information, strengthening linkages and collaboration among women’s organizations.
FEMNET has three programmes namely Advocacy, Communication and Capacity Building.
FEMNET is seeking to recruit a suitable person to fill the position of Head of Communication.
This position will offer the position holder an opportunity to work on very exciting development communication initiatives and campaigns at pan-Africa level in a very stimulating, multicultural and dynamic environment.
The Head of Communication will report to the Program Manager of FEMNET who will be the immediate supervisor and ultimately report to the Executive Director.
The Head of Communication will work in collaboration with the Head of Advocacy and Information Manager to ensure relevant information that contributes to improving the status and quality of life of women in Africa is disseminated to FEMNET members spread out in 37 African countries and African women in general.
The main tasks of the person holding this position will include the following:
• Coordinating, organizing and ensuring that all the information and communication programmes and projects of the Network are implemented in line with the 2011-2013 strategic plan and in a timely manner within agreed frameworks.
• Ensuring that articles for the African Women’s Journal, a bi-annual analytical publication on gender and development issues are written, edited, translated, printed and distributed within the set timeframes;
• Writing mid-year and annual reports for the organization
• Coordinating and manage the monitoring and evaluation of the Communication Programme
• Coordinating relevant training for the membership including participatory communications for development and social change;
• Ensuring the Network’s participation and support to African women NGOs to engage in Freedom of Information and ICT policy formulation and implementation processes;
• Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on activities of the communication programme on a quarterly basis and as may otherwise be required
• Representing the Network and/ or the Executive Director in relevant fora within Kenya the host country for the Regional Secretariat and at the regional (Africa) and international levels in order to facilitate the communications functions of the Network, as and when it may be required.
• Overseeing the management of the Network’s Resource Centre
• Manage media relations on behalf of the organisation.
• Effectively manage the FEMNET website and ensure that the information is up-to-date
• Supporting and facilitating the organization in the use of latest social media such as twitter, facebook, youtube etc that are relevant in enhancing the organization’s mandate.
• Take the lead in mobilizing resources required to implement the Communication Programme activities as agreed upon
Personal and Professional qualities:
The suitable candidate for this position should have the following qualifications and qualities:
• A Masters Degree in Development Communication, or any Mass Communication Degree. Additional relevant training will be an advantage;
• At least 5 years experience working at regional or sub-regional level in the area of communication;
• Strong writing and editing skills with ability to simplify, summarise and communicate complex information, including presentation skills in both English and French;
• Sound knowledge on general women’s rights issues in Africa;
• Demonstrated experience in editing and writing for Journals;
• Capacity to use the media to promote the regional campaigns spearheaded by FEMNET
• Demonstrated interest and/or experience in gender and development and/or women's human rights in Africa;
• Demonstrated training and/or experience in participatory approaches to communications for development;
• Demonstrated training and/or experience in print and audiovisual/broadcast media production;
• Demonstrated training and/or experience in applications of new information and communications technologies;
• Familiarity with Freedom of Information/Access to Information and ICT policy issues in Africa and globally;
• Demonstrated capacity to communicate and work in both English and French;
• Abilities of public speaking and giving presentations to a variety of audiences;
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in multi- cultural teams ;
• Computer literacy with skills relevant for working with appropriate packages.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision;
• Ability to develop and implement programs and projects;
• Advocacy with fundraising skills will be an added advantage;
• Familiarity with contemporary development and governance issues and challenges in Africa will be an added advantage;
• Willing and able to travel mainly in the African region;
• Willing to adhere to FEMNET’s beliefs, values and principles that guide its work and programming framework
Applications for this position should be sent by 27th May, 2012 to:-
The Executive Director
African Women's Development and Communication Network (FEMNET),
P O Box 54562, 00200, Nairobi, Kenya,
Remuneration will be in line with the set procedures of the organization and experience of the qualified candidate.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a letter of expression of interest, Curriculum Vitae with three (3) references, samples of writing, edited and/or audiovisual materials should be included.
Please note that such samples will not be returned.
Only complete applications will be reviewed.