|Location||Kisangani, Congo, the Democratic Republic of the|
|Date Posted||May 1, 2012|
|Job Type||Short-Term Consultant|
|Closing date for applications||12 May 2012|
CIFOR is seeking a Consultant, Biologist
Democratic Republic of the Congo is recovering from over a decade of civil unrests and wars. In this context, research was not a top priority for leaders facing post-conflict economic and social reconstruction challenges. However, it was widely acknowledged that there was no future for social progress without research. It became part of the PMURR (Programme Multi-sectoriel d’Urgence de Réhabilitation et de Reconstruction).
Surveys carried out by FAO and CIFOR (CE & OIBT) in 2005 brought abundant evidence of a dying national forestry research. In DRC, national forestry research could not bring any leverage to forestry industries and trading activities in badly damaged economic landscape. CIFOR has received funding for a 4-year project to strengthen human resources in research about natural resource management in DRC. The objectives of the REFORCO Project « relance de la recherche forestière en RDC » is to improve in-country capacity in forestry ecosystem management through support to research and teaching activities in and with the University of Kisangani (UNIKIS).
The Consultant is expected to support the project stakeholders in both research and teaching activities, such as assisting the lecturers/trainers in preparing teaching and research material; assisting researchers/lecturers in surveying and maintaining permanent sample plots and setting up experimental designs; assisting students in bibliography search and review techniques, research plan and design, data collection and data analysis; and contribute to scientific publications.
Specific Responsibilities will include
a) Consult with researchers, lecturers and trainers in order determine needs for assistance in research, training and teaching.
b) Consult with PhD and MSc. Students in order determine needs for assistance in research and scientific writing.
c) Coordinate with staff members, partners and consultants in lectures and ad-hoc training sessions for preparing material and techniques testing.
d) Review existing research topics and explore new field for research in consultation with a broad range of scientists in and outside DRC.
e) Collaborate with field and HQ-based staff in the production of scientific publications as required and/or based on interests.
The key deliverables are
• Concise report on participatory need analysis and research topic review.
• Training, teaching and research written material and hand-outs as required.
• Outline at least 6 research topics, including a proposal for methodology.
• Mission report and at least 2 publications submitted in scientific journal.
Education, experience and technical skills
• MSc degree or recent PhD graduate in the relevant fields.
• Willing to work in a challenging environment.
• Fluent French and English.
Personal attributes and competencies
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively and positively interact with people in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
• Takes initiative and capable of working independently as well as in a team environment.
Terms and conditions
• CIFOR offers a competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The duty station is in Kisangani, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
• The successful candidate will be hired as a consultant under a limited contract. The consultant will be expected to perform 135 person-days by the end of December 2012.
• The application deadline is 12 May 2012.
• We will acknowledge all applications, but we will contact only short-listed candidates.
Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
Please indicate the position in the email subject line.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
← Go back
- Project Assistant posted about 18 hours ago.
- Evaluation Specialist posted 1 day ago.
- Consultant Required for Gender and Environment Impact Assessment in Afghanistan posted 6 days ago.
- Consultant to Propose and Develop ACFs Gender Policy and Toolkit posted 6 days ago.
- Disability Consultant posted 10 days ago.