Business Development Officer
Pact, Inc. (view profile)
|Location||Washington DC, Washington DC|
|Date Posted||May 3, 2012|
|Category||NGO & Civil Society|
|Job Type||Full Time|
|Closing date for applications||June 4, 2012|
Summary: As a member of the Opportunity Development Department at Pact, each team member is committed to sharing in the success of the organization, its peers, and individual accomplishments. This department is managed thru a matrixed structure that promotes winning proposals in a collaborative manner. Emphasis is placed on establishing best practices and rallying together around the team’s high performance. The team fosters effective communications which is cooperative in nature and offers team members, both experienced and new professionals, opportunities for learning and professional development. Ideal candidates bring positive energy to this dynamic (and fun) work environment.
The Business Development Officer (BDO) is a member of a team within the Opportunity Development Department which oversees Pact’s new business development. The BDO works with others in the program development unit, technical platform networks, operational units and Pact staff worldwide to develop programs and prepare proposals for submission to donors. The BDO is seen as the best qualified team member to manage project specific proposal efforts, and thus are highly valued by the country program offices. Working within a cohort of fellow officers, they are the individuals in the organization who can best bring both strategic and tactical skills to a proposal opportunity. Ideal candidates hold both the vision of winning tenets as well as tactical skills in the day-to-day details of proposal management . 25% or more international travel is expected. Length of travel will vary, ranging from 2 weeks to 6 weeks at a time.
The BDO reports to a Business Development Manager
• Help produce proposals as assigned, ensuring that proposal meet funder specifications and deadlines as well as Pact’s quality standards; conduct research and create drafts for proposal sections as necessary
• Work with program officers, country representatives, and other staff to conceptualize and design proposals for new project activities and/or amendments to current projects
• Support bid decision-making conversations
• Coordinate with Grants & Contracts and Finance for budget review and approvals and to negotiate final awards with donors
• Build a network of professional business contacts within Pact’s industry; help negotiate partnership arrangements and budgets; help coordinate teaming agreements, memoranda of understanding, and other institutional agreements with partners
• Monitor and share information from outside sources of news, including political and security information
• Help identify training needs and help develop and deliver training modules tailored to the needs of HQ and field-based Pact staff; help develop manuals, general operating procedures, templates, guides and other tools
• Maintain accurate information in database and assist with conducting analysis of proposal development; Maintain accurate and timely electronic files
May include line management authorities, with direct supervisory responsibilities.
• Other related tasks, as needed
BA and at least 6 years of relevant experience (or equivalent)
Ability to travel internationally on short notice
• Experience in international development in an overseas setting
• Fluency in English and proficiency in at least one other language
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong in all areas
• Ability to sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with internal colleagues and contacts in donor and peer organizations
• Strong understanding of Pact’s strategy and how tasks contribute to the greater good
• Consistently works within internal process and procedures
• Strong interpersonal and team building skills
• Engagement in corporate initiatives
• Strong planning and time management skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make a presentation
• Ability to problem-solve difficult issues
• Ability to multitask with ease, adapting to frequently changing priorities
• Good negotiating and conflict resolution skills
• Strong understanding of budgets
• Good experience in one of Pact’s technical areas or a support function
• Working knowledge and understanding of donor policies and regulations
• Competence using common desktop applications and internal systems
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.pactworld.org
← Go back
- Manager, Resource Mobilization and Partnerships posted about 6 hours ago.
- Global Advocacy & Communications Officer, PP Global (NYC) posted 6 days ago.
- Project Manager HIV posted 13 days ago.
- Health Program Coordinator posted 13 days ago.
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Economist posted 20 days ago.