Founded in 2003, Meds & Food for Kids (MFK) is a social enterprise, operating in the north of Haiti, with an administrative headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri. MFK is dedicated to saving the lives of Haiti’s malnourished children and other nutritionally vulnerable people. As a social enterprise, MFK has social goals which it meets by following sound business principles; it reinvests all positive margins back into the mission.
MFK accomplishes its mission by developing, producing and distributing highly nutritious foods, including the gold-standard Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF). It makes its food products in Haiti, employing Haitian workers and, whenever possible, using Haitian raw materials. The factory is run increasingly with Haitian management, as a requisite for a sustainable future. MFK also undertakes traditional non-governmental organization activities in Haiti, including an agricultural research and development effort working with Haitian farmers. MFK provides malnutrition treatment directly to children in several clinics and mentorship support to other malnutrition clinics throughout Haiti. MFK also produces and distributes a nutritious school snack and is developing and will be testing a new prenatal supplementation product.
MFK has grown organically for 15 years, with revenues/sales of $6.7M in 2017, and has just recently significantly expanded operations permitting an increase in production capacity of 4-5 times. This opportunity means that MFK is seeking to triple our sales to UNICEF and evaluate opportunities in Latin America. The Executive Director will rethink positions and duties to create new efficiencies and systems. An excellent experienced staff will be very willing to collaborate with the new leader in this rethinking. This position is a great opportunity for a strategically agile, energetic, creative, problem solving person who tolerates ambiguity and risk well and can function successfully in a different culture with a fragile rule of law.
The Executive Director (ED) owns and is responsible for the big picture of MFK. S/he only can do this with excellent and sufficient staff which s/he directs and with an approach best described as “servant leader”, that is, one who focuses primarily on the growth and well-being of people and the community to which they belong. A servant leader shares authority, puts the needs of others first, and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible.
The Executive Director is the face of MFK and the key management leader of MFK. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, operations, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include oversight of fundraising, marketing, and community and government outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
This position is based in St. Louis, Missouri.
Position: MFK Executive Director
The Executive Director will officially report to the Board of Directors and work collaboratively with the Board and the Founder in leading the transformation of MFK from its current stage to a more mature and sustainable organization capable of delivering on its long-term vision. Specifically, s/he will ensure that MFK’s fiscal, operations, fundraising, marketing, human resources, technology, and programmatic strategies are effectively implemented across all segments of the organization.
Strategic vision and leadership
- Collaborate with the Founder and the Board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities at the US headquarters as well as in Haiti are aligned with MFK’s core mission.
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to MFK’s leadership team, and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization; establish effective decision-making processes that will enable MFK to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives.
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open and timely communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals.
- Continue to build -- in partnership with the Founder and Board leadership -- a diverse and inclusive Board committed to the MFK mission and vision, highly engaged, and willing to leverage and secure resources.
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality services while managing for current and future growth.
- Support and motivate the organization’s staff.
- Facilitate collaboration across all functions of the organization; create and promote a positive, multicultural work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization’s strategy, operational methods and data collection needs.
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short-range financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff.
Financial Performance and Operations Viability
- Ensure the fiscal integrity of all facets of MFK’s operation by meeting all deadlines and requirements related to budgets and financial statements in collaboration with Board Committees, staff and external consultants.
- Oversee management of Haiti factory in collaboration with factory leadership to ensure effective administration, staffing, and compliance with all internal controls and governmental operating and reporting requirements.
- Oversee Haiti-based programs that further MFK’s nutritional and agricultural mission.
- Oversee new product development
Development and External Communications
- Ensure that fundraising budgets and strategies, and the flow of funds permits MFK to make continuous progress towards the achievement of its mission and that those funds are allocated properly to reflect present needs and future potential
- Assist in formulating and executing, in collaboration with MFK Development staff, comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporations.
- Oversee outreach efforts to the Haitian government, other Haitian agencies, the US government and its agencies and other partner NGOs based in Haiti, the USA, and throughout the world.
- Enhance MFK’s image in the USA and Haiti by maintaining an active and visible presence in the donor community and working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
- Maintain and enhance relationship with Nutriset France, the organization’s franchisor for the majority of MFK’s
- Oversees programs in nutrition and agriculture
- Increase efficiencies and consistency throughout the organization by developing and implementing standardized programs, services, and marketing of programs.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Oversee planning and operation of annual budget.
- Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serve as MFK’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the United States and globally, and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance MFK’s Mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization throughout the United States and in nations throughout the world.
- Supervise, collaborate with MFK’s US and Haiti staff.
- Collaborate with the board for Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Oversee the review and approval of contracts for services.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Travel to Haiti one week a month to provide onsite supervision and mentorship for the staff
Experience and Qualifications:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree in business or a related field preferred
- Transparent and high integrity servant leadership
- Five or more years senior nonprofit or business management experience; at least 10 years of overall business and/or nonprofit experience "•
- Demonstrated success in building and leading dynamic multicultural teams through transition and transformation
- Track record of delivering results in complex environments
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to articulate a vision of MFK’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
- Preference for :
- Work experience in developing countries with fragile rule of law
- Language proficiency in Haitian Creole or a proven ability to learn languages.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
- Email resumes and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information, please visit: https://mfkhaiti.org/